2010/04/10

If Stu chews shoes, should Stu choose the shoes he chews?

I don't know the answer to this tongue twister. However, one thing I do know is the importance of selecting the correct shoe for jogging. Of course you can run in any shoes, but running shoes are designed for the kind of impact related to jogging, offer proper cushioning and are lighter than multisports.

I remember buying my first pairs of jogging shoes. It was early March in 2002, just before joining the Nagoya H3 St-Patrick's run (I remember because I had to drink beer from them)! At that time I didn't know anything about shoes, and after trying out a few pairs, I was lucky to select a model that worked out well for me. At the time, I had decided that since I was in Japan, it'd be good to buy a local brand. The only Japanese company I knew was Mizuno, and for many years, I continued to buy those because they fitted my feet well. But a few years ago, I guess when I started running more, all of a sudden the new models didn't feel comfortable and I since switched to Asics. Whether you prefer Saucony, Puma, Reebok or any other brand, they are all good and I couldn't say that one is better than the other, it's just a matter of preference.

What I do suggest is for you to go to a store that specializes in running to buy the shoes, especially for your first pair. Yes, it might be a little more expensive, although check out for last year's models, shoes don't evolve very much, no matter what the ads might say. In a running store, you will find qualified sales people who can guide you through your purchase. Where we spend our money is one of our last remaining power in society, and by buying in a running store, you are most likely supporting people who actually enjoy running, and often staff are serious amateurs who will appreciate your support. Proper running stores often have a foot scanner to check out your foot shape. Whether you have low, average or high arches, they can recommend the best fit. Prior to going, you can also take the wet test to know your basic shape. Do try different pairs, especially across brands, to find the shoe that feels best. They should feel comfortable from the get go. As with other shoes, they will stretch a little as you break them in. Remember to wear sport socks when going.

Personally, I don't go cheap with the shoes I buy, even if I'm not such a serious runner. As shoes last me over a year, the cost on a weekly or monthly basis is quite small. Think about how much you spend on restaurants, fashion, comic books, CDs, cosmetics and other non-essentials (but enjoyable!) per year and the price of good pair of shoes becomes not very relevant. On top it, they'll make you feel good and perhaps even motivate you to go out jogging. But for your first pair, I suggest not spending too much, because let's face it, many people who start running don't keep at it.

The good news is that shoes are really the only equipment you actually need to go jogging. Compared to gym subscriptions, snowboard or golf, jogging is one of the cheapest sport. Yes, over the years I have acquired other equipment such as tights (a present and I don't always wear them), backpack with water bladder (useful on longer trail runs to also carry my camera), pedometer (used twice), running socks (can't notice any real difference), but really, the only equipment I really need are the shoes. All the other stuff is not essential.

And this simplicity is one of the things I enjoy the most about jogging. Anywhere (countryside, Saipan, Korea, Montreal) and any time [hangover mornings (like this morning), after work, between classes], if I have my shoes with me, I am ready to go. Unlike swimming pools, the streets and trails are never closed for the night or for holidays, and I can go whenever and wherever I want. And that, to me, is true freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment