2013/05/05

Jogging Haiku 60: It's Been a While

Morning dew caress
First outing in many weeks,
Feelings recovered.

(shortish run, in about 50min)

I hadn't run for a while due to laziness and hurting ankles. While I still love my Five Fingers for running, I'm not sure they're the best option for just walking around town. About 2 months ago I bought two new pairs, including a casual pair I've been wearing almost daily. But in the last two weeks, my ankles and the feet bones near it have been hurting somewhat. It subsided at the end of last week, so after going to capoeira Friday without any problems, I decided to go for a short run this morning when I woke before the family was up.

I used familiar routes near my home, choosing the ones that allowed me to run on grass and dirt as much as possible. It felt great to run as it always does when running for the first time after a long break. I also did some sit-ups and pull-ups in parks along the way.

Part of the inspiration for going out running is my neighbor, Miyuki Fukumoto, who at 36, still managed to repeat her personal best last month at a competition in Australia. I knew she was a gym coach, but had no idea she competed nor that her specialty was high jump. My rationale is that if a 36-year-old mother can compete in world championships, there's no reason why I can't join my own chump-ionship!

The old adage is still true: you don't stop running (moving) because you get old; you get old because you stop running.

No comments:

Post a Comment