2011/08/22

Jogging Haiku 20: Gimli

High schoolers passing
Giving me the right of way,
Onto the finish.

(12km, fast pace with sprint at the end)

As bad as my last outing was, this one was great. Right off the start, perhaps aided by the energizing drink I took before, I went out at a good pace. I took the regular Shirokita river path onto the Yodo river side road. Then, I decided to cross the Midosuji bridge to the other side of the river. There, on the elevated bank path, I entered the zone, remembering my first Sanjurokumine race, during which at some point I felt like Gimli with Aragon and Legolas chasing the orcs.

Of the three characters, I definitely identify myself with Gimli the most. He's a dwark. He's not made for fast running. But on his stout legs he doesn't give up and gives the orcs a run for their money. I'm the same. I'll never win a race (unless I'm the only one entering), but it doesn't deter me to go for it and do my best. As I was sprinting at the end of the course, I also remembered Dean Karnazes's coach who told him that it's supposed to hurt like hell.

Well, I was panting when I finished, but I felt quite satisfied after the last outing counter-performance. Fitting for my 20th haiku.

No comments:

Post a Comment